Welcome to my art blog


'No studio sale' - on now until further notice at Juicy Beetroot, Tum Tum Lane (off High Street), Fremantle

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Karri forest (76)

This picture of a Karri forest in south western Australia was done at the request of my partner, Ian, who encouraged me to do a larger than usual painting in oils. Although I have taken many photos of the forests in the south west over the years, I took this composition from a travel brochure.

It took me quite a few weeks to finish this one. Because it was a larger canvas than usual I started by applying the paint with a trowel to get a textured look, reminiscent of tree bark. Then later, when the canvas was thickly covered with paint, I started to define the individual trees.

It was an interesting experience and I would like to do more larger oil paintings, maybe using a simpler subjects. For the record, Ian likes it (though it is for sale if anyone wants to buy it!) His plan is to create a frame for it out of Karri wood to complement the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment