Welcome to my art blog


'No studio sale' - on now until further notice at Juicy Beetroot, Tum Tum Lane (off High Street), Fremantle

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Redgate Beach (84)

This oil painting of Redgate Beach near Margaret River comes from a photo in a tourist brochure. I mistakenly titled the painting Redgrave Beach to begin with, and it wasn’t until I saw an article in the paper about someone who had died there that I realised my mistake.

This beach, although very beautiful, is notoriously dangerous and it’s general beach hazard rating is 8 (highly hazardous). In fact, the hull of the shipwrecked Georgette that sank in 1876 can be seen on a calm day.

I started this painting near the end of an art class, after I had finished another painting, and got most of the elements in place in a short time. The refining of the painting was an easy job after that so it came together very quickly. I find that the paintings that I finish quickly are often the best as there is less reworking and they seem fresher.

More good news - I’ve sold another 3 paintings since the last blog! Simply Red sold at the Moore’s Building exhibition, my pastel of the Cappuccino strip in Fremantle sold from the Two Rubens exhibition, and my first abstract, Urban Sprawl sold on Artfido.

No comments:

Post a Comment