Welcome to my art blog


'No studio sale' - on now until further notice at Juicy Beetroot, Tum Tum Lane (off High Street), Fremantle

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Rottnest poles (22)

A couple of years ago, Maree and I went to Rottnest Island for a day to take photos to inspire our art. Rottnest is a small island about 18 km off the coast of WA, fringed by turquoise bays. No cars are allowed on the island, so visitors cycle around or take the bus. Small marsupials called quokkas inhabit the island and it was these that gave the island its name - early Dutch explorers thought the quokkas were rats and called the island ‘Rat’s nest’.

This scene is from a photo I took of some old poles near the shore. I loved the patterns in the sea but, as this was my first oil painting, I found them difficult to reproduce. I managed to capture the effects eventually and learnt a lot in the process (thanks to Brian Simmonds, my art teacher).

This painting will be exhibited at Fidels, Essex Street, Fremantle from 26th January to 25th February 2010.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Liz,
    I run a blog about Rottnest at http://rottobloggo.blogspot.com
    Do you mind if I post this week about your exhibition and reproduce your image on my blog?
    Regards,
    David Cohen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David,
    Please feel free to reproduce my painting and promote my exhibition in your blog. I look forward to reading it!
    Kind regards,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete