Welcome to my art blog


'No studio sale' - on now until further notice at Juicy Beetroot, Tum Tum Lane (off High Street), Fremantle

Friday, December 11, 2009

In the bleak midwinter (49)

This is a scene I photographed on a walk I did with the Chesterfield Ramblers on 31st December 2008. It was a freezing cold, foggy, frosty morning and I nearly didn’t go. However, the walk started at Pleasley Colliery, which was nearby, and I felt I needed some fresh air and exercise to prepare for the excesses to come that night … so I donned about ten layers of clothing and went.

Boy, was I glad that I did. I met some lovely people, and it was the most amazing walk. The fog and frost made the scenery look and feel surreal and I had no idea where I was most of the time, even though I was on home territory. We even walked down the street where I grew up and I didn’t realise it until we passed my Dad’s house! Not having clear, forward vision made me concentrate on a smaller area and become more mindful (when I wasn’t chatting, of course!)

By the time I took the photo, most of the frost had thawed but there was still a sprinkling on the tops of the hedges – like icing on a cake. The photo was quite dull so I brightened the scene in the painting, while still trying to keep the aura of mystery a foggy day brings.

P.S. Don’t forget to enter the competition to win five of my cards, including this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment