Welcome to my art blog


'No studio sale' - on now until further notice at Juicy Beetroot, Tum Tum Lane (off High Street), Fremantle

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Old mill near Youlgrave (45)

I grew up in Derbyshire, which, in my opinion, is one of the most beautiful parts of the UK. The Peak District National Park lies mainly in Derbyshire. This is a diverse area – in the north are high, wild moorlands known as the Dark Peak, and in the south a gentler landscape, featuring caves and dry river valleys, called the White Peak. The stunning scenery and challenging terrain attracts hikers from all over the world. Ironically, I didn’t get serious about hiking until after I emigrated to Australia, but I try and do as much as I can on my visits back.

Youlgrave is a village in the Peak District, and this scene was taken from a book of Peak District photographs, which I bought for my Mum some years ago. For me, this picture has a tranquil, timeless feel about it. Like a Thomas Hardy novel, it reminds me of an age where people were more mindful and took pleasure in the simple things in life.

P.S. Don’t forget to enter the competition to win five of my cards, including this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment